Cranberries are a delight. When lightly mitigated by sugar, their sourness is dulled just enough to taste the layered flavors of the berries. We find cranberries to be an essential part of so many holiday recipes and cocktails are no exception! And the spiced cranberry simple syrup and the White Pine Bitters blend together in this classic cocktail as a new holiday favorite.
Spiced Cranberry & White Pine
2 oz whiskey / bourbon
1 oz spiced cranberry simple syrup
10-12 dashes of White Pine Bitters
1. Add the cranberry simple syrup, White Pine Bitters, and booze to an old fashioned glass with ice. Stir.
2. Twist an orange peel over the drink to release the oils.
3. Garnish with the orange peel and fresh cranberries (optional). Enjoy!
FOR A MORE IMPACTFUL WHITE PINE FLAVOR...
1. Add the cranberry simple syrup and booze to an old fashioned glass with ice. Stir.
2. Add the bitters on top of the drink - do NOT stir.
3. Twist an orange peel over the drink to release the oils.
4. Garnish with the orange peel and fresh cranberries (optional). Enjoy!
Spiced Cranberry Simple Syrup
2 cups fresh/frozen cranberries
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 3 inch cinnamon stick
1 tsp whole allspice
2 tsp whole cloves
2 whole anise star pods
1. Mix all of the ingredients together.
2. On medium heat, bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat and keep cooking on a low simmer.
3. Once the water has started to turn a darker red and the cranberries have started to burst, remove from heat and let stand to cool.
4. Strain through a fine mesh sieve or cheese cloth and enjoy!
(You may discard the remaining cranberries or reuse them for another recipe. The left over mixture can be used in baked goods or used in other cocktail recipes - just place in a shaker with booze, shake, strain, and add soda water for a light spiced cranberry flavor in your drink.)